Asylum seeker's family to sue over death

The family of a young Iraqi father who died after self-harming at a WA immigration detention centre plan to take legal action against the Commonwealth.

The family of a 22-year-old asylum seeker who died after self-harming at an immigration detention centre in Western Australia plans to take legal action against the federal government, claiming he was mistreated.

Saruuan Aljhelie was found in his cell at Yongah Hill Immigration Detention Centre east of Perth on September 2, sparking riots, and died days later in hospital.

Mr Aljhelie had been at Villawood in NSW before authorities bundled him on a plane and sent him to WA without telling him where he was going, barrister Rick Mitry said.

Mr Mitry said the guards had abused and laughed at the Iraqi father, and didn't pay attention to his mental health problems, so they had failed in their duty of care.

"That's an obligation that was breached," he told AAP.

"The instructions I've got is he was mistreated unnecessarily."

The barrister said Mr Aljhelie's family in Sydney were traumatised by his death and were trying to return his body home before providing further instructions for potential legal action.

Lifeline 13 11 14

beyondblue 1300 22 4636


1 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world