Australia

Commonwealth Games: Dylan Voller, Indigenous activists arrested in police clashes

0:00

EXCLUSIVE: At least three Indigenous protesters have been arrested after clashing with police outside the Gold Coast's Carrara Stadium ahead of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

Three Indigenous activists, including former Northern Territory youth detainee Dylan Voller, have been arrested while trying to gain entry to the Gold Coast's Carrara Stadium ahead of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

SBS News has obtained exclusive footage of activists clashing with police about 7.30pm Wednesday, before three were arrested.

Dylan Voller, Ruby Wharton and Meg Rodaughan were detained by police as they tried to enter the stadium without tickets. Previously, Mr Voller's treatment in youth detention prompted a royal commission.

They were released late last night after being charged with one count of public nuisance each.

Mr Voller will appear in the Southport magistrates court in May 3 while the two women are due in court on 23 April.

According to SBS News reporter Stefan Armbruster, about 10 activists tried to enter the stadium, believing they had tickets at the door.

But the activists were stopped at the entrance by police after being advised no tickets had been left for them. 

Dylan Voller protested outside the Carrara Stadium.
Dylan Voller protested outside the Carrara Stadium.

Queensland Police said in a statement it will be "alleged that some protesters attempted to gain unauthorised entry into the venue".

"One man and two women were arrested at the scene and are currently assisting police with their enquiries," police said.

"The Queensland Police Service respects the right of people to protest lawfully and peacefully in Queensland but will not tolerate disruptive behaviour during the Commonwealth Games and associated events."

Indigenous activists scuffle with police.
Indigenous activists scuffle with police.
SBS

About 100 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander protesters, vastly outnumbered by police, marched to the stadium to protest against the games.

Earlier, protesters from the Stolenwealth Games Indigenous group halted the Queen's Baton Relay for about an hour.

The group of approximately 30 people lined up across Seaworld Drive, in Southport, leaving the relay staff and baton bearers stranded in a carpark at the end of the road.

Organisers resumed the final leg of the relay before Wednesday's opening ceremony on an altered route about an hour later.

 

0:00

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch