Why hasn't the alleged attacker been charged?
NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey said on Tuesday morning Naveed Akram is still in a coma. Akram and his father, who was shot and killed by police, allegedly killed 15 people in a terrorist attack on the Jewish community at Bondi Beach.
Mookhey said police are waiting for his condition to stabilise before placing charges.
"We are providing the police with everything they need to undertake this complex and relatively massive investigation that's underway," he told ABC News.
He said the government is also providing assistance for the upcoming funerals for those killed in the attack.
— Madeleine Wedesweiler
Welcome to today's live blog
Good morning and welcome to our live blog.
We will be covering updates on the Bondi Beach terror attack, as Australia and the world mourn the victims.
Here is some of the key information to know this morning:
- NSW Police confirmed 16 people had died in Sunday's attack, including one of the alleged gunmen, who was shot dead by police.
- NSW Health said 27 people are receiving care in several Sydney hospitals.
- The alleged gunmen were identified as a 50-year-old father (who died during the incident) and his 24-year-old son.
- Neither of the men was on ASIO's radar immediately before the shooting, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told the ABC's 7.30 program after being briefed by the spy agency's director-general.
- Albanese confirmed ASIO investigated the younger alleged shooter in 2019, due to his alleged links with other people who were being watched by the domestic spy agency.
- Albanese and NSW Premier Chris Minns delivered press conferences on Monday, condemning the attacks and pledging to do whatever was necessary to combat antisemitism and prevent further attacks.
- Opposition leader Sussan Ley said the attack would be "burned into the nation's soul" and said there was "palpable anger" among the community in Australia because antisemitism had been "left to fester".
- Antisemitism envoy Jillian Segal called for expedited action to combat antisemitism, including the implementation of the 20-page plan she delivered in July. Albanese said his government had acted and would continue to act on implementing the plan.
- Mourners gathered at Bondi Beach to place tributes such as flowers and candles, and vigils were held across the country on Monday night.

