A magistrate has revoked the non-publication order on the name of a man charged with sexually assaulting a young girl last week in Newcastle.
The man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl in the New South Wales Hunter region has been identified, as a magistrate revoked the non-publication order of his name.
Brett David Hill, 47, appeared in Newcastle Local Court via video-link on Wednesday, charged with kidnapping, six counts of aggravated assault, and four counts of aggravated indecent assault.
An application to extend a non-publication order was made by his solicitor Rob Hussey, who told Magistrate Robert Stone that he feared for his client’s safety.
Mr Hussey said his client was currently being held in protective custody with another inmate who has access to a television, suffers from schizophrenia, has a kettle and razor blades.
But Magistrate Robert Stone was urged by the police prosecutor and Child Abuse Squad detectives to lift the suppression order, saying they believed identity was no longer an issue in the case.
Mr Stone said any safety concerns for Mr Hill could be managed by placing him in a single-person cell to prevent any acts of "open justice".
Mr Hill allegedly abducted and sexually assaulted the young girl after grabbing her from behind as she walked through a park in Adamstown Heights just after 9.15am on Tuesday.
It’s alleged the girl was also threatened with a knife, sexually assaulted and forced into a car, before being taken to bushland where the sexual assault continued.
DNA evidence has been recovered and a preliminary test had been done, the court heard.
Mr Hill remains in protective custody and the matter has been adjourned until August.