Asia-Pacific

North Korea launches multiple projectiles as tensions rise

0:00

Despite previous assurances, North Korea has reportedly launched more projectiles, the South Korean military's Joint Chiefs of Staff report.

North Korea has fired multiple unidentified projectiles less than a week after firing two new short-range ballistic missiles, the South Korean military's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) says.

The latest launches early on Wednesday were from the Hodo peninsula on North Korea's east coast, the same area from where last week's were conducted, the JCS said in a statement.

It said it was monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture.

North Korea test-fired two new short-range ballistic missiles on 25 July, its first missile tests since leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump met in late June and agreed to revive stalled denuclearisation talks.

The White House, the Pentagon and the US State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Both Mr Trump and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo played down last week's launches and Mr Pompeo has continued to express hope for a diplomatic way forward with North Korea.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
AP

Since the 30 June meeting in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between the two Koreas, Pyongyang has accused Washington of breaking a promise by planning to hold joint military exercises with South Korea in August and warned that these could derail any dialogue.

North Korea has also warned of a possible end to its freeze on nuclear and long-range missile tests in place since 2017, which Mr Trump has repeatedly upheld as evidence of the success of his engagement with Mr Kim.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch