If you've had your cafe dream percolating for a while, how do you make it a reality?
Here are a few tips and insights:
1. Make a business plan.
Ask yourself these questions:
- How much money do you have?
- How much money do you need?
- What are your cafe's strengths and weaknesses?
- What sets you apart from your competitors?
- Where will your cafe be located?
The federal government offers many free business templates here.
2. Register your business name
3. Location, location
Find the best location that suits your business plan
- Do you want to own an existing cafe?
- If not, are you prepared to go through building and planning approval?
4. The tools of the trade
The only essential piece of equipment to a cafe is a good coffee machine and a fridge to stock your goods. The rest depends on whether you want a large food menu, and if you want seating.
- Outdoor seating requires council approval.
- Liquor licenses cost around $700, and regulations vary from state to state.