SBS Radio App

Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience

Advertisement
The business failed “to maintain all fixtures, fittings and equipment ... to a standard of cleanliness where there is no accumulation of food waste; dirt; grease; or other visible matter”.
English
By
Mosiqi Acharya

29 Jan 2018 - 12:12 PM  UPDATED 29 Jan 2018 - 12:12 PM

An Indian restaurant located in West Footscray has been fined for poor food safety by Sunshine Magistrates' Court.

Restaurant and a cocktail bar, Pandus was found guilty of storing food at unsafe temperatures and not clean enough by Maribyrnong Council officers.

The business failed “to maintain all fixtures, fittings and equipment ... to a standard of cleanliness where there is no accumulation of food waste; dirt; grease; or other visible matter”.

Proprietor Prasanth Madala was fined $3108 and ordered to pay $212 in legal costs by a Sunshine magistrate on November 17 last year.

Maribyrnong Council officers filed charges after a January 2017 inspection.

Mr Madala was not available for a comment when SBS Hindi reached out to him on Monday morning. His response is awaited.

Many other Indian food joints too have been found to flouting norms and have been fined for breaching food safety laws in Melbourne. 

The entire list of convictions is listed on Department of Health register which names and shames offenders for at least 12 months.

Follow us on FACEBOOK and TWITTER

ALSO ON SBS HINDI:
Residents evacuated after fire at Indian restaurant in Melbourne
More than 100 people were evacuated from an Indian restaurant in Deer Park when a fridge caught fire. No one was hurt in this incident.
Indian restaurant chef throws chilli powder at customer who complained about food
David Evans, 46, had to be rushed to hospital for urgent treatment to save his sight.
Indian restaurant owner jailed for killing customer with curry
Customer had requested a chicken tikka masala with 'no nuts', but his curry had been cooked with a ground nut mix containing peanuts.