Fattoush is a Lebanese salad made with vegetables and crispy toasted flatbread, which soaks up the dressing beautifully. It's a simple recipe, packed with freshness and flavour - serve this salad as a side to grilled meats.
- 1 round Lebanese bread
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, finely diced (if very fresh, no need to peel)
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ cup radish, finely diced
- ½ red capsicum, finely diced
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
- 4 spring onions, finely diced
- 2 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Deep-fry the Lebanese bread in the oil. If you prefer, you can bake the Lebanese bread in a medium oven for about 10 minutes. This will make the bread nice and crisp.
Drain on absorbent paper and when cool, crumble in your hands until it breaks into small pieces.
Combine the rest of the ingredients with the bread and toss with the dressing.
Want more recipes like this? We recommend: