Find out which special utensils you’ll need on hand during cooking.
29 May 2013 - 3:42 PM  UPDATED 6 Sep 2013 - 9:31 AM


Knives should be ultra sharp. It’s recommended to have three main types: a cook's knife, a paring knife and a chopping knife.

Yorkshire pudding moulds

Yorkshire pudding is traditionally made in a shallow tin. It's then cut into squares. Alternatively, you can cook individual puddings in a muffin tin.


Drinking tea is a fundamental part of everyday, British working-class life. The ritual of sharing a pot of tea is considered a comfort in tough times. The teapot shoud be warmed before it is used. The traditional formula for making tea is one scoop of tea leaves for every tea drinker, plus one for the pot.

Roasting tray

A good roasting tray is essential for the English cook. A thick-bottomed tray will transfer the heat evenly across the tray and will not buckle easily. The roasting tray is also used to make the gravy once the roast is cooked. The remnants of the meat stuck to the bottom of the pan, and the cooking juices, add flavour to the roast.

Meat thermometer

Meat thermometers are used to tell the temperature inside the meat. This is invaluable in determining whether the joint is adequately cooked. It is particularly useful when cooking rare beef.