Full of crunch and flavour this granola will become a favourite for breakfast or brunch. Feel free to switch in nuts of your choice for the almonds and pecans and serve with whatever fruit you prefer – poached or fresh. For a vegan option, serve with non-dairy milk and/or yoghurt.
- 285 g (3 cups) rolled oats
- 100 g natural almonds, coarsely chopped
- 100 g pecans, coarsely chopped
- 55 g (1 cup) flaked coconut
- 80 g (½ cup) sunflower seeds
- 80 g (½ cup) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 185 ml (¾ cup) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Greek-style natural yoghurt and mixed berries, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cooling time: 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the oats, almonds, pecans, flaked coconut, sunflower seeds, pepitas and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla bean paste in a small bowl. Add to the oat mixture and stir until well combined. Spread over the lined tray and bake for 40 minutes, stirring three times during baking, or until the oats are deep golden and well toasted. Stand for 30 minutes or until cool. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container in a cool dark spot for up to 1 month.
- Serve with fruit, milk and/or yoghurt.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Danielle Abou Karam.