Make the most of a batch-cooking day by quadrupling the recipe and storing the excess in your pantry.
Making a big batch of nutritious granola is one of the best ways to ensure you have a healthy breakfast treat on hand every day. This banging formulation will lend you a load of energy for tackling your to-do list!
- 130 g (4 ½ oz/1 cup) roughly chopped dried apricots
- 155 g (5 ½ oz/1 cup) macadamia nuts, halved
- 200 g (7 oz/1 ⅔ cups) quinoa flakes
- 200 g (7 oz/3 ⅓ cups) brown rice flakes
- 95 g (3 ¼ oz/1 cup) flaked almonds
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz/¼ cup) buckwheat groats
- 105 g (3 ¾ oz/⅔cup) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz/⅓ cup) sesame seeds
- 105 g (33/4 oz/⅔ cup) sunflower seeds
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz/⅓ cup) flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla powder or alcohol-free vanilla extract
- almond milk, to serve
Caramelised apple cider vinegar
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup or your sweetener of choice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To make the caramelised apple cider vinegar, heat the vinegar and syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and continue boiling until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Combine all the granola ingredients except the vinegar, vanilla and almond milk in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Stir in 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) caramelised apple cider vinegar and the vanilla.
3. Spread out on the prepared baking tray and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25–30 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes and adjusting the flavours as needed.
4. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 4 weeks.
Images and recipe from Supercharge your Life by Lee Holmes (Murdoch Books, RRP $35), photography by Luisa Brimble.