If you've been wondering how to use artichokes, this chunky, flavourful stew is a perfect option - and is vegetarian-friendly.
- 4 lemons
- 3 cups (750 ml) cold water
- 6 artichokes
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 3 medium white onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 3 large potatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Squeeze juice of 3 lemons into 3 cups of cold water. Keep lemon halves handy nearby.
- To prepare the artichokes, use your hands to remove the tough outer leaves until you reach the pale yellowish leaves inside.
- Rub everything but the stem of the artichoke with half of the lemon at this point; this will prevent the artichoke from turning brown. Continue to occasionally rub the artichoke as you work. Cut roughly 1-inch (2.5 cm) off the top of the artichoke. Break off the stem with your hands, or slice off with a knife, leaving a little bit left. Using a small knife, cut off all the green parts surrounding the heart of the artichoke. Scrape out all the purple fibres and fuzzy parts of the artichoke with a teaspoon, leaving just the white heart. Put each artichoke heart in the lemon water immediately after preparing.
- In a large saucepan, heat ½ cup of oil. Add onions, garlic, and carrots and cook until carrots and onions have softened. Add potatoes, artichokes, vegetable stock, and juice of remaining lemon to saucepan. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes and artichokes have softened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add dill and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve by adding one artichoke to each bowl, then adding a few generous spoonfuls of vegetables. Ladle hot broth over vegetables.