Dip the rim of your cocktail glasses in the Japanese spice blend, schichimi togarashi, that typically includes coarsely ground red chili pepper, ground sanshō, roasted orange peel, black and white sesame seeds, hemp seed, ground ginger and nori.
- 250 ml (1 cup) vodka
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) lime juice
- 1 tbsp very finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 L tomato juice
- 1 tbsp shichimi togarashi (see Note)
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 4 spring onions, trimmed, and ice cubes, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Combine all ingredients in a jug and season with salt to taste.
Place ice in 4 glasses, pour over bloody mary mixture and serve garnished with spring onions.
• Shichimi togarashi is a spice blend from select supermarkets and Asian food shops.
Photography Chris Chen
As seen in Feast magazine, February 2014, Issue 28.