These gluten-free pies are like quiche wrapped in a bacon crust. Three kinds of cheese - cheddar, parmesan and goat's - match well with roasted capsicum and fresh herbs.
- butter, for greasing
- 9–12 thin bacon slices
- ¼ cup goat’s cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar, grated
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup red capsicum, roasted, peeled and finely diced
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- 3 free-range eggs
- 100 ml cream
- ½ tbsp chervil, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp chives, finely chopped
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease three small dishes with butter. Tear bacon into pieces and use to line bases of each dish. Use remaining pieces to line outside of each dish, using about 2–3 strips per dish, to form the pie crust (the butter will help the bacon stick).
- Divide goat’s cheese, cheddar, pine nuts, red capsicum and parmesan between dishes.
- Use a spoon to whisk eggs in a jug. Add cream, herbs, and salt and pepper to season (cheese and bacon can both be quite salty, so be careful not to use too much salt). Mix ingredients until combined.
- Divide egg mixture evenly between pies. Pour slowly so the egg goes through the ingredients and doesn’t flow over bacon crusts.
- Place pies on a baking tray. Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until pies are puffed up slightly in size, are firm and turn a golden brown colour.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.