An easy tray bake with spicy Italian sausage, crunchy broccolini and anchovies, with a good grating of parmesan and scattering of chilli.
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 4 Italian sausages
- salt and black pepper, to season
- 3 anchovies, roughly chopped (optional)
- 500 g dried spaghetti
- grated parmesan, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Pour the olive oil into the base of a large baking dish or oven-proof frying pan. Slice the broccolini on the diagonal into 5-cm slices and scatter into the pan with the garlic and chilli.
- Squeeze the sausages out of their skins and crumble over the broccoli. Scatter over the anchovies, season with a little salt and bake the whole lot in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sausage is cooked and broccolini is charred.
- While the sausage and broccolini is roasting, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add a good amount of salt. Cook the spaghetti until al dente according to packet directions. Drain, reserving 60 ml (¼ cup) pasta water.
- Remove the roasted broccolini and sausage from the oven, add the drained pasta and the reserved cooking water. Toss together, then serve topped with grated parmesan and plenty of black pepper.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.