Sometimes the world just needs sweet potato as a side.
- 800 g sweet potatoes, peeled and
- 3 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and white pepper, to tase
- Tomato or barbecue sauce, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into long, thin sticks.
3. Blanch in plenty of boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes, then drain, refresh in cold water and drain well.
4. Toss the potato in the oil, paprika and place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cook.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
• If you want to fry them, omit steps 1 and 4. Heat the deep-frying fat/oil in a deep-fat fryer or a large pan (it is hot enough when bubbles form on the handle of a wooden spoon held in the fat). Fry the sweet potato chips in batches for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and season lightly with salt and pepper.