A bright vegetarian salad that's hearty enough to make a meal.
- 1.2 kg beetroot
- 1¼ cups white quinoa
- ⅓ cup pitted dates, diced
- 200 g feta
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ½ cup fresh mint and fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup savoury seed and nut mix (see Note)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3-4 tbsp coconut balsamic dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Peel then place beetroot in a large pan of water. Cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender when prodded with a knife. Drain and set aside to cool. When cooled, cut into chunks.
Cook quinoa following packet directions. Set aside to cool.
Mix dressing ingredients together, pour over the chunks of beetroot and set aside.
On a serving platter or large serving dish, create 2-3 layers of quinoa, beetroot, dressing, dates, feta, spring onions, red onion and herbs. Top with avocado then sprinkle over the savoury mix.
• The Healthy Food Guide team used Ceres Organics Paleo Savoury Mix, a mix of seeds, nuts, herbs and spices. It is available from health stores and selected retailers.