Give the classic bacon and eggs a fusion twist by wrapping crispy pancetta and scrambled eggs in wonton pastry for a delicious steamed breakfast.
- ½ cup (120 ml) cubed pancetta
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped chives
- 20 round wonton wrappers
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- olive oil, for frying
- freshly ground pepper
- tomato sauce or other sauce, to serve, optional
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Fry the pancetta to render out the fat. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off some of the oil in the pan. Keep the pan on the heat.
2. Crack the eggs in a small bowl, add pepper, and whisk together. Pour into the hot frying pan. Turn off the heat.
3. Stir to scramble and lightly cook, but make sure they’re not cooked through. Remove pan from heat. Stir in cooked pancetta and chives.
4. Fill a small bowl with water.
5. Spoon some of the egg mixture into the centre of a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in the water and run it along the wonton edge. Fold the wonton in half and press to seal. Repeat to use up all the filling and wrappers.
6. Add olive oil to a clean frying pan and heat. Add the wontons and cook 1-2 minutes. Flip. add the water to the pan and place a lid on top. Cook 1-2 minutes.
7. Remove lid and remove wontons to a plate. Serve with sauce.