This unique toastie recipe combines Brussels sprouts cooked until they're deliciously caramelised, and smooth, buttery Havarti cheese.
- olive oil, for frying
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- ½ cup Brussels sprouts, sliced thinly or shaved with a mandoline
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- avocado oil, for frying bread
- 4 slices hearty sourdough bread
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 4 large slices Havarti cheese
- red pepper flakes, optional
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Drizzle oil into a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add shallots and saute.
2. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until tender and a slightly browned and caramelised, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, add to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour avocado oil a bowl. Press one side of each of the pieces of bread into the oil.
5. Top the dry side of two slices of sourdough with Brussels sprouts mixture.
6. Drizzle on some whole grain mustard. Top with Havarti cheese. Sprinkle on pepper flakes, if using. Stack the other bread slices on top.
7. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook on both sides until bread browns and cheese has melted.