Classic, fluffy buttermilk pancakes which are gorgeous topped with seasonal berries, maple syrup and butter.
- 3¼ cups (770 ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (710 ml) flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) salt
- butter, for pan and more for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- raspberries, for garnish (optional)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Add the buttermilk to a bowl and mix in the egg.
2. To a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Gradually add the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine.
3. Heat a pan with some butter. Pour ¼ cup (60 ml) of batter into the pan. Let cook until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip over and cook the other side. Repeat until all batter has been used.
4. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.