This bitter salad adds hits of sweetness and creaminess from grapefruit slices and blue cheese. You’ll need a domestic blowtorch for this recipe.
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130 g (½ cup) thick Greek yoghurt
- 6 cups loosely–packed rocket leaves and watercress
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Peel the grapefruit with a knife, cutting closely to the fruit to remove the pith. Slice into ½ cm rounds and place on a baking tray. Scatter with the caster sugar and use a kitchen blowtorch to caramelise the sugar.
- Season the yoghurt well with salt and pepper and spread on the base of a serving dish. Toss the rocket and watercress with a little olive oil and place on top of the yoghurt.
- To serve, place the grapefruit rounds on top of the salad and scatter with the blue cheese.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Danielle Abou Karam.