Serve this simple fondant hot from the oven and let the melted chocolate centre ooze out. Dreamy!
- ¼ cup (50 g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ cup (55 g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup (90 g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g butter, melted
- 160 g dark chocolate, melted
- 4 small squares dark chocolate, extra
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
2. Place the flour, sugar, almond meal, egg whites, butter and melted chocolate in a bowl and mix well to combine. Spoon half the mixture into 4 x ½-cup capacity (125 ml) lightly greased dariole moulds.
3. Divide the extra chocolate squares between the moulds and top with the remaining mixture. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked but soft in the middle. Stand in tins for 5–7 minutes before turning out.