These clever, crunchy spring rolls are filled with a mixture of beef, mustard, mozzarella and onion, which means you get the convenience of a finger food and the flavours of a cheeseburger.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 150 g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-4 tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 chive, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 64 spring roll wrappers
- lettuce leaves, to serve
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chilli sauce
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Combine olive oil, beef, red onion, parsley, mustard, mozzarella, breadcrumbs, chives, garlic and half of the whisked egg in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix until combined.
- Place 1 tbsp mixture in centre of bottom-third of spring roll wrapper. Using a pastry brush, brush sides with a little of the remaining egg. Fold sides of the wrapper over. Brush a little more of the egg over the front, then roll the mixture tightly until it reaches the other end. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Fill a large saucepan with enough oil to cover spring rolls. Preheat to 180°C. Cook spring rolls, in batches, for 4–5 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to paper towel to drain excess oil.
- To make the mayonnaise, combine mayonnaise, tomato sauce and Sriracha in a small bowl.
- Wrap spring rolls in lettuce leaves and serve with mayonnaise.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.