Buttery brioche bread is topped with cherry jam, fresh plums, pistachios and a velvety layer of custard in this warming dessert.
- 20 g softened butter, for greasing
- 8 slices brioche (about 250 g)
- 120 g cherry jam
- 4 plums, stones removed, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp chopped pistachios, chopped
- 600 ml ready-made custard
- icing sugar, for dusting
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Lightly grease a 20 cm x 27 cm baking dish.
- Spread the brioche with jam, then tear it up and place in the greased dish with the pieces slightly overlapping. Arrange the plums and nuts on top, then pour over the custard.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden. Cool for 5 minutes, then dust with icing sugar and serve with ice – cream.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.