Everybody loves a chicken and mayo sandwich! And white bread works a treat. I like to slice them into finger sandwiches with the crusts off. Serve with grapes and Cheezels for a picnic spectacular.
- 1 store-bought barbecue chicken
- 235 g (1 cup) mayonnaise
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf sliced white sandwich bread
- salted spreadable butter
- 1 bunch grapes
- 250 g strawberries, halved
- 125 g raspberries
- 110 g Cheezels
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Take the chicken meat off the bone, discard the skin and bones and shred the meat into a bowl. Add the mayonnaise and season to taste.
- Spread the bread slices with butter. Top half the bread with the chicken mixture, then sandwich together with remaining bread slices. Using a serrated knife, remove the crusts and cut each sandwich lengthways into thirds. Serve with grapes, strawberries, raspberries and Cheezels on the side.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.