You can store the excess spice mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
This street food flavour bomb owes its vibrancy to a mix of seven spices, many of which you will already have in your pantry.
- 1 tbsp 7-spice powder (see below)
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, sliced into long strips
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thighs, sliced into long strips
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for a few hours
- 6 pitas
- Garlic sauce (see below)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ cup pink pickled turnips
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp ground clove
- ½ tbsp ground fenugreek
- ½ tbsp ground dry ginger
- ½ tbsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup minced garlic cloves
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 1-2 hours
- To make the 7-spice mix, combine allspice, pepper, cinnamon, clove, fenugreek, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl. You can store the excess spice mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the spice mix with the olive oil, half of the minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, and salt. Add the chicken strips and stir to coat. Leave in the fridge to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- To make the garlic sauce, in a food processor, puree garlic, egg white, salt, and lemon juice. Slowly stream vegetable oil into garlic mixture while food processor is running. Continue processing until completely combined. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from fridge and thread onto wooden skewers. Grill on a barbecue or in a chargrill pan, turning to char on all sides. Remove chicken from heat, and drizzle with remaining lemon juice.
- Remove chicken from skewers, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Spread garlic mixture onto pita bread. Top with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, turnips, and a sprinkling of parsley. Roll pita bread over mixture to create a sandwich. Repeat until all pita bread has been made into wraps.