Bring the streets of Greece into your kitchen with these easy-to-make chicken souvlaki.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 700 g skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- wooden skewers, soaked overnight in water
- 2 tomatoes, cut into slices
- 4 pitas, grilled
- tzatziki, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 3-4 hours
- Pour olive oil into a bowl with lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add chicken pieces to bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Add chicken pieces to skewers that have been soaked in water. Brush with excess marinade.
- Grill 10-15 minutes, turning, until cooked.
- Plate chicken on pita topped with sliced tomatoes and tzatziki.