Making cucumber ribbons with a vegetable peeler makes this simple salad seem just a touch fancy.
- 200 g dried chickpeas
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 telegraph (long) cucumber, peeled and ribboned
- 200 g feta cheese
- 100 ml sherry vinegar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soaking time overnight
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight. The next day, drain and add 1.5 litres (6 cups) water. Bring to the boil and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Add the bicarbonate of soda, then drain.
2. Combine the chickpeas with all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve as a salad, vegetarian entrée or as an accompaniment to any main meal.
Recipe from Coya – French, Middle Eastern Cuisine. (New Holland Publishers RRP $39.99).