Adam makes his chilli honey baked chicken - a simple weeknight dinner with a classic sweet and heat flavour combination.
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 long red chillies, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 coriander plant, roots and stalks, leaves reserved for garnishing
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) honey
- 60 ml (¼ cup) tomato sauce (or Sriracha if you want it hotter)
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 8 free-range chicken thigh cutlets, skin on and bone in
- Lime wedges, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 2 hours
- Place all the ingredients except the chicken in a small food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl, pour over the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- Place a sheet of baking paper in the bottom of a baking dish and arrange the chicken on top. Roast for 40 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate. Roughly chop the reserved coriander leaves and scatter over the top to serve with lime wedges.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.