It has been a banner year for berries! Each week at the farmers' market I've come across a new berry I'm yet to try. The sweet little lady who I purchased my currants from last week had a few containers of gooseberries. I fell in love with the colours, shape and lines. The berry itself is not overly sweet, you could compare it to a blueberry. Gooseberries are full of vitamin C, fibre and potassium. So they add a healthy little kick to your day. This cake is gluten-free, sugar-free, soy-free and peanut-free, as well as vegan. Overall, it's one of the healthier desserts, let alone chocolate cakes, you could make.
- 10 medjool dates, soaked overnight
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 flax eggs (see Note)
- ½ cup softened coconut oil
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup double Dutch dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- chocolate ganache (see Note)
- handful gooseberries or cherries
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soaking time overnight
Resting time 10 minutes
You will need to begin this recipe 1 day ahead.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
In a food processor fitted with an S blade, puree the drained dates. Add banana and flax eggs and process until well combined. Transfer the fruit puree to a medium bowl, whisk in coconut oil, coffee and vanilla until well combined.
Put the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl and add the dry mix to the moist fruit mix and combine until you have a smooth batter. Grease 2 x 15 cm round cake pans or 1 x 20 cm round cake pan with coconut oil. Evenly divide batter among the pan/s, smoothing the top with a spatula.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cake/s to fully cool on a wire rack prior to removing from pan/s, then top with chocolate ganache and the gooseberries or cherries.
• This recipe has been modified from Paleo Spirit.
• To make 1 flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Alternatively you can use 3 tablespoons of of chickpea brine (the liquid from a can of chickpeas).
• The chocolate ganache I made was similar to the vegan chocolate ganache on Elana’s Pantry.
Recipe from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes by Heather Poire, with photographs by Heather Poire.