Microwave sponge has a delightfully moist, airy texture - a little like a sponge cake crossed with a steamed pudding.
- 80 g egg yolks
- 120 g egg whites
- 6 g cocoa powder
- 35 g plain flour
- 80 g caster sugar
Whipping cream topping
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 20 g caster sugar
- 1 punnet strawberries, sliced
- 50 g pure icing sugar
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To make the chocolate sponge, whisk the egg yolks, egg whites and sugar together on a stand mixer for 20 minutes.
2. Sieve the cocoa powder and flour together.
3. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture before placing into a piping bag.
4. Gently pierce 4 holes in the bottom of a paper cup, then ½ fill the cup with the sponge mixture. Microwave for 45 seconds. Turn the cup upside down to cool.
5. To make the cream topping, place the cream and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk to a medium-firm consistency.
6. To finish, take the stems of the strawberries and slice them, place the sieved icing sugar on top and stir it through.
7. Tear up pieces of the sponge. Scatter the strawberries on top with dollops of the cream topping. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.