This "slaw" makes a great side and you can play with the chilli balance if you dare.
- 2 star fruits, thinly sliced
- 1 green mango (see Note), peeled, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 (about 720 g) small pineapple, peeled, cored, chopped
- ¼ green cabbage, shredded
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, sliced
- 4 long red chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp grated palm sugar (gula jawa)
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) rice wine vinegar
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Combine all the fruits, vegetables and chillies in a large bowl.
To make dressing, whisk together palm sugar, vinegar, 125 ml water and ½ tsp salt.
Pour dressing over salad and stand for 1 hour to allow the flavours to develop.
• Green mangoes are available from selected greengrocers and Asian food shops.
As seen in Feast Magazine, Issue 14, pg75.
Photography by Armelle Habib