A fragrant twist on a classic, this is full of aromatic spices with the rich creaminess of coconut milk.
- 1½ tbsp (30g) ghee, divided
- 450 g (about 2 large) chicken breasts, cut into 2½ cm chunks
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (45 g) grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tsp (15 g) garam masala
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground turmeric
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 g) chili powder
- ¼ tsp (1 g) fenugreek powder, optional
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed, seeds reserved and pods discarded
- 1 jar (720 ml) tomato passata
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 g) chopped cashews
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- 3 tsp (15 g) brown sugar
- cooked rice and / or bread, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Heat 3 teaspoons (15 g) ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining ghee over medium heat, add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, serrano pepper and spices. Cook, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add passata and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a blender with cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Return sauce to pan. Stir in the coconut milk and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice and bread.