These delicious coconut and almond macaroons are drizzled in melted dark chocolate for a little extra indulgence.
- 2 medium free-range egg whites
- 100 g golden icing sugar, sifted
- 100 g ground almonds
- few drops of almond extract
- 100 g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 100 g good-quality dark chocolate, melted
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Lightly fold in the icing sugar. Gently stir in the ground almonds, almond extract and desiccated coconut until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
3. Spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture on to the lined baking trays, and shape into round mounds. Sprinkle a little shredded coconut on top of each one.
4. Bake for 25 minutes: the outer crust should be light golden but the inside needs to be nice and soft. Leave to cool on the baking trays for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Drizzle with dark chocolate and allow to set before eating.