Like a rich soup, my creamed spinach adds anchovies, lots of garlic and rosemary for an easy, comforting meal.
- 500 g English spinach, trimmed and washed
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 10-20 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50 g anchovies, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) thin cream
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the spinach and stir to submerge, then drain and place in a large bowl of iced water. Drain again, then place in a clean kitchen cloth and wring out the excess water. Chop the spinach.
- Heat a large deep, frying pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the anchovies and cook for another minute, then add the cream and simmer until very thick. Add the spinach, stir to combine well, then add the rosemary and season to taste.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Danielle Abou Karam.