Also known as 'carrot cake', this yum cha classic is twice-cooked, and goes perfectly with some shrimp chilli oil.
- 3 cups grated Daikon (Chinese or Japanese radish)
- 3 tbsp dried shrimp, rehydrated and chopped
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) water (or reserved liquid from rehydrating shrimp and mushrooms)
- 1½ cup rice flour
- ¾ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 scallion, sliced, for garnish
- Worcestershire sauce, for dipping
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cooling time: 2 hours
- Place grated Daikon in a wok and top with water (or reserved liquid from rehydrating shrimp and mushrooms). Place wok over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-18 minutes, or until water has reduced and radish is soft. Remove from heat.
- Transfer radish and remaining liquid to a mixing bowl, and let cool. Once completely cool, add rice flour, sugar, salt, and white pepper. Stir until properly combined. Reserve.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add chopped shrimp and chopped mushrooms and cook until they have started to brown. Remove from heat, and add to radish mixture and mix together. Transfer mixture to a greased baking dish.
- To make a large steamer, add water to the bottom of a roasting pan. Place grill rack over the water, and place baking dish on top. Bring water to a low boil and cover roasting pan with aluminium foil. Steam for 50-60 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove dish from steamer and chill for 2 hours. Turn dish over to release cake. Cut cake into slices.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add slices and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from heat and serve.
- Garnish with scallions, and serve Worcestershire sauce on the side.