This classic American dessert combines banana, caramel, cream and chocolate in an easy make-ahead dessert. Make sure you it's chilled properly so the caramel filling can set.
For the base
- 50 g butter, melted
- 140 g packet Walkers shortbreads, blended into crumb
- 30 g desiccated coconut toasted
- 80 dark brown sugar
- 80 ml water
- 500 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 g salt
For the topping
- 100 g sour cream
- 100 g whipping cream
- 2 large bananas
- dark chocolate, grated for garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Chilling time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- For the base, line the base of a round 20 cm springform cake tin with baking paper. Mix the melted butter into the crumbs and coconut, then press the mixture into the tin and chill for 20 minutes.
- For the caramel, dissolve the sugar in water on low heat, then boil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add condensed milk, butter and salt, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour into pie crust and chill for 1 hour.
- For the topping, whip the creams together until they form soft peaks. Top the caramel with cream mixteure, sliced bananas and grated chocolate.