Blissfully refreshing, this is the easiest icy treat around. Plus, there's no rule against adding a touch of your favourite liqueur.
- 1⅓ cups (330 ml) water
- 1 cup (220 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) blood orange juice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Freezing time: 4 hours
1. Place the water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine the sugar syrup with the juice and pour into a metal container. Freeze the juice mixture for 4 hours or until set.
3. To serve, rake the granita with a fork and spoon into serving glasses.