There’s almost no chopping in my favourite easy vegetable soup: a grater does it in a quarter of the time. So easy.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp thyme leaves (see Note)
- 2 cups (500 ml) tomato purée (tomato sauce)
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 zucchini (courgette), peeled and grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- finely grated parmesan, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the tomato, stock, carrot, zucchini and parsnip. Cover and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer rapidly for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with salt, pepper and parmesan.
• Lemon thyme goes well in this soup.