Meaning 'Old man's mix', this egg salad is a popular light meal in Sweden. The dill, which is at its best in summer, is an essential garnish.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill, plus extra sprigs,to serve
- 6 anchovies in oil, 1 tbsp oil reserved
- 4 slices crispbread
- lime or lemon halves, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Combine eggs, egg yolks, onion, chives, dill, anchovies, anchovy oil and ½ tsp ground white pepper. Spread on crispbread, scatter with extra dill and serve with lime halves.
Photography Tony Amos