Put a twist on the classic dippy eggs by serving them with fingers of the ultimate toasty cheese sandwich, made with three cheeses and relish.
- 4 very fresh free-range eggs, fridge cold
- 2 tbsp good quality store-bought tomato relish or fig jam
- 4 slices of thick-cut brioche loaf
- 40 g butter, softened
- 100 g of cheese (e.g. a mix of cheddar, blue cheese and brie), coarsely grated and crumbled
- Salt and pepper
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil and a pinch of salt. Add the eggs and cook for 5 minutes.
- Butter each piece of bread and turn over. Spread two pieces of the bread with the relish and scatter cheese on the other sides. Form two sandwiches and press down.
- Heat a large pan over a medium-low heat. Add the sandwiches and toast for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Cut out 2 egg holders from the egg carton and present on a small board. Arrange eggs in holders and cut the tops off. Slice the cheese and relish toasties into batons and serve with egg and extra relish on the side.