A Swedish creamy chicken and rice casserole... with banana.
- 500g cooked chicken, chopped into large pieces
- 450g cooked long grain rice
- 200ml cream
- 100ml milk
- 50ml chilli sauce, tomato purée or ketchup
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 bananas, sliced thickly
- 150g bacon, chopped
- 35g salted peanuts, chopped
- Green salad, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan-forced).
2. Line the bottom of a 20cmx30cm roasting tray or casserole dish with the cooked rice. Top the mixture with the chicken. (See Note)
3. Mix cream, milk, salt, pepper, chilli ketchup, curry powder. For an extra fluffy sauce, whip the cream lightly before mixing.
4. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Add the sliced banana and peanuts.
5. Bake it in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, fry the bacon on the stove until crispy. Sprinkle the bacon over the finished casserole and serve with a green salad on the side.
• You can choose to serve the rice on the side instead of baking it into the casserole.