A choc-fudge brownie beast of a milkshake!
- 625 ml (21 oz/2½ cups) milk
- 125 ml (4 oz/½ cup) chocolate syrup (see note)
- 5 scoops chocolate fudge ice cream
Monster your shake
- chocolate ganache (see note)
- whipped cream
- 10 pretzels
- 4 scoops chocolate fudge ice cream
- 2 chocolate brownies (see note)
- chopped Malteasers, for decorating
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
To make the shake, combine the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and combined.
Smear chocolate ganache on the inside of each the glass, reserving a little for topping. Using
a spatula, smear some of the whipped cream around the outer rims, then decorate with the pretzels. Gently pour in the shake and top with a scoop of ice cream.
Spoon more whipped cream on top of the shakes and place a chocolate brownie on top of each glass. Cover with whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream and more ganache. Sprinkle with the chopped Malteasers.
• For the chocolate ganache, place 250 g (9 oz) cooking chocolate (broken into pieces) and 80 ml (2½ oz/1⁄3 cup) thickened cream in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir occasionally for 3–4 minutes until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nice and thick.
• For the chocolate brownies, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and line a 20 cm (8 in) square baking tin with baking paper. Place 180 g (6½ oz) butter in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes or until melted. Remove from the heat, add 250 g (9 oz) dark cooking
Chocolate (broken into pieces) and stir until melted. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, place 3 eggs, 330 g (11½ oz/1½ cups) sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in a bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat on medium for 5–6 minutes until thick and pale. Sift 150 g (5½ oz/1 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour and60 g (2 oz/½ cup) cocoa together. Fold into the egg mixture using a large wooden spoon. Gently stir in 150 g (5½ oz/1 cup) chocolate buttons. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30–35 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan before cutting the brownie into squares.
This recipe is from Monster Shakes (Smith Street Books). Photography by Chris Middleton.