A perfect year-round salad bringing to the table juicy marinated lamb, fresh greens, homemade gluten-free pita and zesty tzatziki.
- 500 g lamb backstrap
- large handful rocket leaves
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ⅓ cup mint leaves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 230 g gluten-free plain flour
- 6.5 g baking powder
- 4 g salt
- 2 g xanthan gum
- 50 ml canola oil
- 185 ml (¾ cup) warm water
- 250 g piece Telegraph cucumber (or 1 Lebanese cucumber)
- 280 g lactose-free yoghurt
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 1 hour
1. For the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Add the lamb, turn to coat, cover and stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, for the pita bread, preheat the oven to 200°C. Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the oil and water and mix until well combined. Divide the mixture in half, adding a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Working one at a time, place the balls between two sheets of baking paper, lightly dusted with flour. Gently press down with your hands to form a disc, then use a rolling pin to roll out into thin rounds.
3. Place a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Dry fry the pita breads until golden on both sides. Cut the pita into small triangles and place on a baking paper-lined baking tray. Spray with olive oil and bake for 5 minutes or until crisp.
4. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and heat over high heat. Add the lamb and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest.
5. For the tzatziki, grate the cucumber and squeeze out as much liquid as possible through a sieve or a piece of cheesecloth. Place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and combine well.
6. To serve, in a large bowl, combine the rocket, tomatoes, parsley and mint. Add most of the tzatziki and pita and gently toss to combine. Slice the lamb against the grain. Divide the salad amongst plates, top with the sliced lamb, remaining pita chips and drizzle with the remaining tzatziki.
Catch Helen Tzouganatos whipping up lush gluten-free meals alongside guests in the brand new first series of Loving Gluten Free on SBS and SBS On Demand.