It’s super versatile and easy to make so you never have to settle for an inferior store-bought version again. The key is to roll the dough thinly between two sheets of baking paper before transferring to a very hot frying pan.
Golden, puffy pita with crispy edges that your friends and family would never guess is gluten free!
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 195 g (1½ cups) plain gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Rising time: 1 hour 15 mins
1. Place the sugar, yeast and 180 ml (¾ cup) of lukewarm water in a jug and whisk to combine. Leave to stand for 10–15 minutes or until the mixture foams.
2. Place the flour in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook and crush in the salt flakes with your fingers. Pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil and mix for about 1 minute to form a ball.
3. Place the dough in a clean, greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 1 hour or until it doubles in size. (If you are making this ahead, the dough will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.)
4. Divide the dough into four even portions and roll into balls. Working with one ball at a time, drizzle over a little olive oil and massage to coat. Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out to a thin 20-cm round.
5. Heat a cast-iron frying pan over high heat and drizzle with a little olive oil. Remove the top layer of baking paper, then flip the dough round onto the hot pan and peel away the remaining baking paper. Cook for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden and puffy. Remove and cover with a tea towel to keep warm while you cook the rest.
Recipe extract from Easy Gluten Free by Helen Tzouganatos, Published by Plum, RRP $39.99, Photography by Jeremy Simons