There's functional granola, and then there's granola that makes you excited to get out of bed in the morning—this toasted muesli recipe is definitely the latter.
- 3 cups (270 g) rolled oats or rolled spelt flakes
- ¾ cup (120 g) sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup (120 g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup (75 g) shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup (130 g) dried cranberries or sultanas
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the oats, sunflower seeds, pepitas, coconut, cinnamon and maple in a big bowl and mix really well to combine, using a spatula.
- Divide the granola mixture between the prepared trays and spread it out evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Wearing oven gloves, remove the trays from the oven and, using a spatula, carefully give the granola a little stir to help it cook all over. Bake for another 10–15 minutes or until crunchy.
- With your oven gloves on, remove the trays from the oven. Sprinkle each tray with the cranberries and allow to cool.
- You can serve the granola in bowls topped with milk, your favourite fresh fruit and some natural yoghurt.
This tasty toasted muesli will keep in a tightly sealed jar for up to 2 weeks.