- 2 green mangoes, peeled and julienne
- 100 g small dried anchovies, washed and drained
- 1 long red chili, seeds taken out and julienne
- 5 perilla leaves, sliced
- 5 mint leaves, sliced
- 5 Vietnamese mint, sliced
- 5 Asian basil leaves, sliced
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp fried red Asian shallots
- 1 tsp fried garlic chips
- nuoc mam cham dipping fish sauce
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
In a deep fry pan or wok, heat the oil to 180 degrees Celsius.
Deep fry the anchovies in two separate batches for 3 minutes or until brown and crisp.
Remove the anchovies and place on absorbent kitchen paper.
In a mixing bowl combine green mango, herbs, chilli, fried shallots, fried garlic, crisp anchovies and 3 tablespoons of nuoc mam cham dipping fish sauce. Toss well, transfer to a plate or shallow bowl and garnish with crushed peanuts.
• Dried anchovies can be substituted with dried white bait.