- 1½ cups SunRice Mountain Blend Rice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced horizontally (see Note)
- 100g sugar snap peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- ½ barbecued Chinese duck, bones removed, sliced
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Wash rice 2-3 times in cold water. Place into a medium saucepan and add 2½ cups of water. Bring rice to the boil, cover, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Allow to stand 10 minutes. Place rice in a fine sieve. Rinse under cold running water, then spread out on an oven tray to cool. Refrigerate rice for 1 hour.Meanwhile, make cucumber pickle. Place cucumber in a glass or ceramic bowl; sprinkle with salt and stir to combine. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and gently squeeze out excess liquid. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add peanut oil. Stir-fry garlic and chilli for 30 seconds. Place in a small jug and add vinegar, sesame oil and caster sugar. Stir to combine. Pour over cucumber and set aside to marinate.
Heat a large wok over a medium-high heat. Add peanut oil and sesame oil and swirl to coat wok. Stir-fry asparagus, snap peas and mushrooms together for 3 minutes; add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 1 minute longer. Add rice and toss for 1-2 minutes, then stir in Hoisin sauce, light soy sauce and caster sugar. Just before removing from heat, stir in green onions.
Gently reheat duck in microwave. Divide rice between 4 bowls. Top with sliced duck and serve with the pickled cucumber.
• If using thick asparagus spears, split them horizontally before slicing.
• Rice can be cooked the day before and stored in the refrigerator.