These are a real taste of Canadian summer. You could also use prawns in place of the lobster for a delicious prawn-y spin on a Canadian classic!
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp (1g) kosher salt
- 3 tsp (15g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) water
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp (12 g) chopped parsley
- 3 tsp (12 g) chopped tarragon
- 1 tsp (5 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 6 fresh (or frozen and thawed) 6 oz (170 g) lobster tails
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon zest
- 4 top split hot dog buns
- 1½ tbsp (12g) chopped chives
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Standing time: 20 minutes
- For the celery, place celery in a heat-proof jar or glass measuring cup.
- Combine salt, sugar, vinegar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until sugar and salt have dissolved, about 2 min. Pour liquid over celery and let sit for 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours) before straining to serve.
- For the lobster rolls, melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in garlic, parsley, tarragon, salt and seafood seasoning. Lower heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes, reducing heat if butter begins to foam or garlic browns.
- Meanwhile, using kitchen shears, remove lobster tails from shell and coarsely chop meat. Set aside. Increase heat to medium and add lobster meat. Cook until just opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon zest and remove from heat. Divide lobster over buns. Top with chives and pickled celery.