One of the great culinary quests in life is finding the ultimate hummus recipe, and this could very much be it.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve a few for garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Olive oil
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- To make the tahini, toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet until golden brown in colour. Remove from heat and let cool. Add sesame seeds to a food processor and blend. Pour in olive oil and add salt. Puree.
- In a bowl, add chickpeas. Mash with a potato masher. Add garlic, lemon juice, salt, and stir to combine. Pour in tahini and mix well.
- Top with a few whole chickpeas, a drizzle of olive oil, and chopped parsley.